Here’s a list of the Good Deeds I’ve done so far.
Some of these Good Deeds will seem small. Some others Good Deeds might take a bit more effort. I like to think that even if they have a small positive impact on that person (whether you know them or not), then it makes it worthwhile.
- Took a Big Issue seller shopping for food and essential items.
- Loaned my Canon 5D DSLR camera to an up and coming photographer (never met her before) – who had started a kickstarter campaign to buy one. (She takes great photos!)
- After hearing about parents that went without food during the summer holidays so their kids could eat we helped fed a few families that needed it, with some bags of food donations that would keep them stocked up for a few weeks.
- Designed and produced an A2 film poster (with the help of the very talented Liam that works for me) full of positive comments and framed it for a girl that was body shamed on the way to her prom.
- Picked up family who got lost (on the way to the theatre) and were walking down a dual carriageway. Got them to their show on time too.(Got an unofficial award of Cardiffian of the Week from I Loves the Diff )
- Regularly do the Good Morning Run (reveal details soon)
- Helped an old person at the tip by taking all his rubbish from the car and putting into the bins for him #MicroGoodDeed
- Helped a friend move house #GoodFriendDeed #MicroGoodDeed
- Made a surprise visit to my Uncle and Aunty who live a couple of hundred miles away. My Uncle Neil was very happy to see me! #GoodFamilyDeed
- While out for a run I ran past an old couple trying to change wheel on punctured wheel. I jacked up the car, swapped over the wheel for the spare. All good. Carried on running.
- Currently lending small sums of money to 16 entrepreneurs in Africa via the amazing charity Deki (do go check them out and think about loaning some money)
- Unknown to wife, bought new wheel hubs for her car (old ones were knackered), cleaned and vacuumed car and then took it to the car wash and also filled up the tank full of petrol. #GoodHusbandDeed
- Paid for a family to go swimming in the queue behind me. (They were super grateful and kept on waving at Alby and myself in the pool with massive smiles on their faces)
- Paid for person’s car parking ticket #MicroGoodDeed
- Paid for ferry tickets so that cyclist & cameraman could get from Dover to the Jungle in Calais (to do some very good work there) on a sponsored bike ride.
- Bought a homeless person a pie
- Person was lost on way to train station. Gave them directions and also gave them my return ticket so they could get into the city centre.
- Help the charity Deki by producing a video for free to promote their Trade it Like Bruno campaign
- Donated a day of my camerawork for free for the amazing charity Whizz Kidz (when I filmed them for BBC National Lottery programme)
- Walked a mum with a baby back to their car late at night to make they were safe (and held an umbrella as it was raining). Also helped getting the buggy into the car.
- Offered marketing advice to The Big Issue (and got to sell the Big Issue on the streets!)
- Paid it forward with 5 meals at El Paso restaurant
- Gave away 1000s of my beloved vinyl to a fellow vinyl lovers. 🙁 #GoodFriendDeed
- Become a Big List subscriber as We Make Good Happen with The Big Issue
- Inspired a few people to collectively donate a load of food to help a food bank that was on the verge of closing. We ended up with a van load of food.
- Alby and myself cleared up and weeded an entrance to a local nursery so it was all tidy and clean for the other children. #GoodFatherSonDeed
- Cleared up elderly neighbours garden that was full of leaves due to massive tree that has over taken her garden. She can now walk around it. #GoodNeighbourDeed
- Was a Guide Runner for my friend Emma (who has Cerebal Palsy) who took part in the Cardiff 1/2 Marathon.
Also made this documentary about her:
- Cleared up and swept up a back lane belonging to a number of our neighbours #GoodNeighbourDeed #MicroGoodDeed
- Giving away my vintage Star Wars Collection to a couple of kids for Christmas #ChristmasGoodDeed
- Paid for 4 pints of Guinness (for the next random customers) at Cork Airport after spending a lovely time filming around Ireland #InternationalGoodDeed
- With my wife Andrea we gave out Winter Warmer packs (of hats, gloves, socks, toothbrush, toothpaste) to homeless
- Whenever I go shopping and have to put a £1 in to ‘hire’ the trolley – when I’m done with it I pass it onto the next person (and refuse the pound when they offer it). Today’s trolley went to a young mum and her kid.
- Put together 5 gift boxes full of toiletries for women in refuges in Cardiff and South Wales. Run by the amazing Project Shoebox Cardiff
- Donated $10 to a friend in the US who came up with the great idea of asking for donations to help feed the homeless on her birthday. She raised ¢910!
“Thank you all for your amazing generosity. Yesterday we made 150 organic turkey sandwiches- each filled with love and handed out 100 pairs of warm wool socks. It was beautiful to witness our greater community come together”
- Helped feed and serve up food for 301 homeless people in Austin, Texas (while I was there at a film conference) “Thank you so much for helping us in the Community Kitchen at Caritas of Austin today! Thanks to you, 301 people had a warm meal and a welcoming place to enjoy lunch.”
- Made up 15 treat bags and big bag of festive treats for people alone at Christmas. A local community centre (that is run by volunteers) [Maes–y–Coed Community Centre] are welcoming in people in on Christmas day.
- Took another of my local Big Issue sellers shopping as a Christmas treat to her and her family. Made sure there were some nice meals, meat and treats for her family (she has 5 children here).
And of course bought the Xmas edition of the The Big Issue magazine.
- Made up the 1st ever ‘Box from Bill’ as a Christmas treat for one of my elderly neighbours.
- Filmed for free for Children’s hospice Tŷ Hafan when Santa visited the children at the centre to hand out Christmas presents. Was so moved by what I saw I said to the charity we’d some do some films for free in 2017. (Bonus I did get to meet Santa and he said I’d been a good boy)
- Fixed a neighbours computer as their internet stopped working. (My Computer Science degree finally came in handy – had to reset the TCP/IP stack) #SmallGeekyNeighbourGoodDeed
- Gave Blood. Would encourage everyone to give blood at some point. Really simple, doesn’t hurt really, but will be helping save lives. Can’t really get better than that. Why give blood?
Good Deeds in process:
- Looking to adopt a nan/grandad in Cardiff (someone who might be elderly and lonely)
- Fixing up and painting a nursery animal wall round the corner from my house that’s faded and in need of repair. (My son goes to another nursery around the corner but we walk past this wall
- Finding the water bottle footballers and giving them the football I bought for them